Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for People Who Have Hyperthyroidism – Allowed:
It is important for people who have Hyperthyroidism to abide by the following instructions.
GENERAL ADVICE FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE HYPERTHYROIDISM:
- Do sports and relaxation exercises such as yoga, meditation and breathing exercises to help reduce anxiety and stress.
- Adhere to a healthy diet and maintain healthy eating habits. Prefer to eat small meals at frequent intervals (every 2-3 hours) and chew food well before you swallow.
- Try to relax more.
- Use eye drops if you have bulgy eyes as a result of overactive thyroid.
- Prefer to use essential oils for relaxation purposes such as lavender and chamomile oils. You can also rub those oils on the neck, nose and forehead.
- Consume foods that are rich in protein such as organic eggs. These foods help regulate metabolism and regenerate the membranes.
LIQUIDS (WATER- JUICES- TEAS)
- Drink teas of the following herbs: chamomile, lavender, Melissa, and fenugreek.
- Drink plenty of water, at least 2 liters a day.
- Consume an amount of 1 small cup of olive oil throughout the day (you can add olive oil to your food). Olive oil is rich in essential fatty acids.
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
- Consume plenty of fruits of vegetables because they are considered a rich source of vitamins and minerals and antioxidants that help eliminate free radicals and participate in metabolism.
- People with hyperthyroidism should consume foods that have goitrogenic components that inhibit the activity of the thyroid gland. Preferably, eat soybeans, garlic, onions, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, radish, turnip, kohlrabi and mustard.
Note: These foods should be eaten fresh because cooking invalidates the goitrogenic activity.
WHOLE GRAINS – LEGUMES – SEEDS AND NUTS
- Consume foods that are rich in other essential fatty acids such as nuts, almonds, and seeds.
- Prefer to eat 2 cloves of garlic a day especially if you have high blood pressure and tachycardia – accelerated heartbeat.
- Prefer to eat flaxseeds because they are rich in omega3 fatty acid which helps hyperthyroidism.
- Consume foods that contain complex carbohydrates such as whole grains that have high content of fiber.
- Consume foods that are rich in protein such as legumes and seeds. These foods help regulate metabolism and regenerate the membranes.
FISH AND SEAFOOD
- Prefer to eat fish because it is high in protein.
- Consume foods that are rich in omega3 such as salmon, mackerel only in moderation. Omega3 is very essential to the production and function of thyroid hormones, for the health and integrity of cells and for the proper functioning of the nervous system.
Healthy Diet and Daily Instructions for People Who Have Hyperthyroidism – Prohibited:
- Foods high in iodine such as algae, fish and sea salt.
- Alcoholic drinks, energy drinks and soft drinks.
- caffeinated drink (coffee, tea) because they release stress hormones.
- Prefer to avoid licorice, ginger tea, or other herbal teas that may cause hypertension.
- Allergenic foods such as wheat, milk, dairy, corn, soy, citrus fruits, peanuts, tomatoes, coffee and chocolate.
Note: One should be extremely careful in case of graves’ disease.
- Processed and canned foods that contain preservatives, food dyes and flavorings.
- Foods that contain saturated fat such as red meat, processed food, margarine, butter and refined oils.
- Cigarettes and hookah because they aggravate hyperthyroidism.
- Reduce the consumption of red meat especially beef. You can replace it with lamp meat only in moderation.