Constipation a slow passage of faeces until it stops completely in the colon. It is defined as a case of very little excretions, less than 3 times a week, rigid stool and a hard even painful process of excretion. Constipation may be severe or chronic and can occur by itself or as a symptom of other diseases. It also differs from one person to another depending on one’s life style and eating habits.
Natural approach, unlike the conventional therapy, define constipation as a discharge less than once a day. Whereas conventional therapy defines constipation when there is no discharge at all.
Causes for Constipation
- Constipation can appear as an initial or secondary symptom of another condition. It can happen as a result of excess muscle strength (stronger contraction) or by bowel weakness (lack of bowel movement).
- Malnutrition. Meaning not eating enough fiber, lack of drinking fluids, and excessive intake of stimulants such as caffeine.
- Different diseases such as bowel tumor, anus disordered (anal fissure, hemorrhoids), adhesion of the intestines (after a surgery), hernia, diverticulitis, infection, neurological diseases (MS, Parkinson’s disease, spine injury), Hormonal imbalance (hypothyroidism, high levels of estrogen and/or progesterone).
- Different medications such as: anti-acidic drugs based on aluminum, anti-choline drugs, hypotensive drugs, anti-depressants, chronic use of laxatives, iron supplements.
- Certain habits: holding feces and ignoring the need to excrete.
- Psychological: mental and psychological issues that are treated with drugs such as anti-depressants, sedatives and drugs for Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) can cause constipation.
- Life-style: setting for long periods of time, lack of exercise and lack of sleep.
- Abdominal stiffness.
- Difficulty and even pain during the process of excretion.
- Solid and dry stool.
- Low frequency of excretion is a major symptom for Constipation.
- Abdominal pain and discomfort.
- weakness and fatigue.
- Anal fissure or hemorrhoids.
- Appetite loss.
- In case of chronic constipation due to accumulated toxins, there might appear symptoms like: tiredness, skin problems, weak immunity, headache and others.