Best 6 Foods that Contain Dopamine!
Dopamine is a chemical neurotransmitter responsible for transmitting the signals from the brain to the organs. It is also known as ‘the feel-good hormone’ since it boosts happiness and focus ability. A sufficient amount of dopamine is all it takes to make one happy. However, excessive amounts can lead to hallucinations and schizophrenia. On the other hand, low dopamine production can lead to sadness, frustration, fatigue, or even depression, and is also one of Parkinson’s disease (PD) causes.
If you fall under the last category, then you are in the right place. In this article, we will tackle the foods that contain dopamine, for proper exercises and consuming the 6 foods that enhance dopamine can naturally increase dopamine, alleviate PD symptoms, and retrieve energy and joy.
6 foods That Contain Dopamine
- Nuts and Seeds: In order to produce dopamine, the body breaks down the amino acid Tyrosine, which is highly found in nuts, such as almonds and walnuts, and nuts like flax seeds. Consuming a handful of these nuts and seeds can lead to increasing dopamine levels and significantly help alleviate Parkinson’s disease symptoms.
- Animal source foods: Chicken, eggs, organic meat, fish, and shrimp, among others, are rich in protein and tyrosine. Eating these foods can increase dopamine levels.
- Plant protein: There are many vegan options for vegetarians, such as soybean, legumes, fava beans that contain high amounts of tyrosine, that as a result, increase dopamine production in the brain.
- Chocolate: Chocolate works in two ways, it first contributes to producing the happy hormone, serotonin, in the body. And it contains small amounts of a compound called Phenylethylamine (PEA) that stimulates the brain cells into producing dopamine.
- Strawberry: According to several studies, strawberry can increase serotonin and dopamine production in the body.
- Coffee: According to studies, the caffeine in coffee can make the brain alert and increase dopamine production. That is why one feels more focused and alert after consuming drinks that contain caffeine.